Parents and guardians are offered complementary sessions where they learn about the benefits and inner-workings of the program, as well as information on child development which they can utilize in their family after KITS ends. Denise hosts these parent sessions, and is often joined by youth interns who describe and illustrate how they support and lead the participants. Feedback for these sessions is very positive.
Window to Your Child Workshop
If you are reading this, then you are already a good parent. But even great parents are hindered in doing their best for their children simply because they lack the knowledge in child development. Denise Goldbeck is a child developmentalist that has been working with families for over 30 years. In this workshop, she will provide parents with the tools and understanding of what their child is experiencing cognitively, emotionally, and developmentally. Knowing some of this information could mean a difference in how you might handle a parent-child conflict, avoid discipline, and foster positive identity achievement in your child — most importantly, how to prepare your child for a future we cannot predict.
- how to manage the high rate of change in today’s society
- how to make children more self-reliant at the same time respectful and responsible
- the difference between being a “socialized” child and an “obedient” child
- how to recognize the different types of “compliance” from children
- sources of parent and child conflict
- how your child develops their self identity
- differences in communication and development with children at various stages
- how to communicate with your child, and being aware that each social interaction builds the identity of the child
- understand your “real parenting self”, away from the pressure of being the “ideal parent”
- a look at your own past childhood and how that affects your parenting
Denise Goldbeck, will use a combination of lecture, experiential teaching, and visual components. The workshop is designed to be a small class so that participants may share and ask questions regarding their own situations. Out-of-session discussions with Denise and other parents are encouraged during break times.
Early Bird: $100.00 + GST per person / $175 + GST per couple.
Regular Fee: $125.00 + GST per person / $225 + GST per couple.
Location & Schedule
Saturday Feb 25, 2017
Juan de Fuca, 55+ Activity Center
1767 Island Hwy, Building 3
10:00 am – 5:00 pm
Juan de Fuca
Juan de Fuca, 55+ Activity Center 1767 Island Hwy, Building 3 Victoria, BC Room 202
Ⓒ 2017 Kids in the Spotlight